Skip to Content, Skip to Site Navigation, Skip to Section Navigation, Skip to Search
Indiana University Bloomington

Department of Biology

Undergraduate Studies

Undergraduate Biology Courses

Frequently Asked Questions

test creditcredit transfer | course authorization | upper-level courses | recorder's office | registrar's office | incompletes

Is test credit available for BIOL L111 and BIOL L112?

The department offers several options for earning test credit for the introductory biology courses BIOL L111 and BIOL L112.  Credit earned through testing will appear as BIOL E111 and BIOL E112, and students will earn a grade of S (Satisfactory).  This credit satisfies the BIOL L111 and L112 course requirements for biology majors and other science majors, but carries no lab credit.   Credit through testing can also apply toward College of Arts and Sciences N&M distribution requirements.

There are several options for test credit:

  • 1. Credit through pre-college testing: The department awards 3 hours of credit with a grade of S for E112 to students who score a 4 on the College Board Advanced Placement exam or 6 hours of credit for E111 and E112 to students who score a 5 on the College Board Advanced Placement exam. Students who have taken the College Board SAT II Biology E/M test earn credit as follows: a score of 680 on the Biology E test earns 3 credit hours of E111. A score of 680 on the Biology M test earns 3 credit hours of E112. For students who have taken the older SAT II Biology subject test, a score between 680 and 719 earns credit for E112; a score of 720 or higher earns credit for E111 and E112.
  • 2. Departmental testing through New Student Orientation: The E111 and E112 tests are offered during New Student Orientation.  Please consult New Student Orientation materials for details.

Other Important Information:

It is strongly suggested that students understand this introductory material before proceeding to L211 Molecular Biology. Depending on their score, students should especially consider completing L112 before proceeding to L211, because L112 is a prerequisite to L211.

Students should consider taking the BIOL L111 and L112 courses (especially L112), rather than relying on test credits to fulfill requirements, if the student is seeking to fulfill prerequisites for health professions programs (medical school, etc.) or planning to pursue graduate study in the sciences.  The BIOL L111 and L112 courses can provide a solid foundation for later science coursework required for graduate level study.  In addition, some graduate and professional programs will not allow testing credit to fulfill prerequisite coursework. 

How do credits transfer?  (top)
  • Credit transfer service. If you plan to take a course at another university, you can check the credit transfer service web site to first see how the course will transfer at IU Bloomington. If the university you plan to attend isn’t listed in the credit transfer service web site, you must contact the department of the course you plan to take and they will need to determine how the course will count.
  • Intercampus transfer. If you plan to take a course at another IU campus and would like to transfer the course back to the Bloomington campus, you will need to do an intercampus transfer. Click here to apply online and for more information.
  • For a course already taken. To learn how IU transfers credit and for rules and regulations, please contact the IU admissions website, which lists the grade required and other pertinent information.

How does one obtain course authorization? (top)

Obtain on-line authorization for authorized sections of biology and microbiology courses by contacting Alice Eads in the Biology Advising Office (855-3810 or e-mail Please be aware that all honors courses require a MINIMUM GPA of 3.3. If you need authorization for a course other than biology, please contact that department or school for authorization.

Which courses count as upper-level lectures and/or labs? (top)
  • Please consult the IU BioBlog for an up-to-date listing.

How and why does one contact the recorder's office? (top)

Please consult the recorder's website to find information concerning:

  • Drop/add procedures
  • FX or Extended X
  • Pass/fail
  • Transcripts
  • Apply for a minor
  • Applying to graduate

How and why does one contact the registrar's office? (top)

Please consult the registrar's website to find information concerning:

  • Schedule adjustment information
  • Waitlist information
  • Intensive Writing information
  • 1st and 2nd 8 weeks information
  • Grade distribution database

How does one fulfill an Incomplete? (top)
  • A grade of I (Incomplete) may be given only when the work of the course is substantially completed and when the student's work is of passing quality. When an I is assigned, a record must be maintained in the office of the department in which the grade was given. The record will include a statement of the reason for recording the I, an adequate guide for its removal, and a suggested final grade in case the instructor should leave campus for an extended time.
  • The time allowed for the removal of an I may not exceed one calendar year from the date of its recording, although the dean of the student's college or school may authorize adjustment of this period in exceptional circumstances.
  • To complete a course in which a student received a grade of I, the student should consult with the instructor. The student should not reenroll in the course.
  • By assigning an I, an instructor implicitly authorizes and requires the I to be changed to an F at the end of one calendar year if that instructor does not act to remove the I. The registrar will automatically change the I to an F at the end of this time period. Both the student and the instructor in whose course the student received the I will be notified of this change of grade.
  • When the grade of I is given because students missed the final examination, they will be allowed to remove the I by taking the examination only if they have the approval of the instructor and the Committee on Absence of the Division of Student Affairs.
  • These regulations do not apply to research and reading courses in which completion of the work of the course is not necessarily required at the end of the semester and the grade R (Deferred) is given. Once a student has graduated, nothing in these regulations shall prohibit the I from remaining on the record. test
Copyright © 2017 | The Trustees of Indiana University | Copyright Complaints | Privacy Notice Intranet | Site Index | Contact Us