Welcome to IU Biology!
Biology is a broad discipline encompassing everything from the study of subcellular molecular machines to the interactions of different species in vast ecosystems. The Department of Biology has a long history of excellence in the field of biological research (included in our faculty alumni and current faculty are Nobel Laureates and members of the National Academy of Sciences). Areas of excellence in research include evolutionary biology, developmental biology, bacterial cell biology, genome biology, virology, and behavior. These research strengths of the faculty are reflected in the broad catalog of course offerings available to our students, allowing them to explore the diverse subject areas encompassed by modern biology.
The Department of Biology offers four degree programs
Students may elect to earn their degrees with honors.
A minor in Biology is available.
Links of interest for prospective IU Biology students
- Learning goals of the Biology major
- IU BioBlog
- College of Arts and Sciences Direct Admit program for IU applicants
- College of Arts and Sciences information for parents and precollege students
- Academic Programs
- Integrated Freshman Learning Experience (IFLE)
- Science, Technology, and Research Scholars (STARS) Program
- Hudson-Holland Scholars Program
- Holland Summer Enrichment Program for minority high school students
- Science, Technology, Informatics, and Mathematics (STIM) Living and Learning Community for undergraduate women