Special B.S. for Three-Year Premedical/Predental/Preoptometry Students
This program is designed for students admitted to the Indiana University Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, or Optometry after three years at Indiana University Bloomington. Students who have completed requirements for this major; the Foundations, CASE Intensive Writing, Foreign Language, and Breadth of Inquiry requirements for the standard B.S. in Biology; and at least 90 credit hours in courses offered by the College of Arts and Sciences may apply 8 credit hours of their first-year professional courses toward their undergraduate major and 24 credit hours of their first-year professional courses as undergraduate elective credit. Students who have been accepted to medical and dental schools other than Indiana University's must have special permission from the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences to apply for this degree.
Students must complete the following with a C– or higher:
- BIOL L111, L112, L211, L311, and L318; a total of three associated labs, which must be taken on the Bloomington campus.
- CHEM C117-C127, C341, C342, and C343. Students planning to attend professional school should check to see what additional requirements are needed.
- PHYS P201-P202 or P221-P222.
- One of the following statistics courses: MATH K310, PSY K300 or K310, LAMP L316, STAT S300 or S303, or SPEA K300. (Note that although SPEA K300 fulfills the statistics requirement, it does not count toward College of Arts and Sciences credit hours.)
- MATH M211 or M215 (or M119 and M120, or V119 and M120) or an approved mathematics course.
Students choosing this option should consult with a Biology undergraduate advisor and the Premedical/Predental/Preoptometry advisor in the Health Professions and Prelaw Center.
See also Biology Major (B.S.) »